Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The End of "Bri The Lifeguard!"

Ryan and I have been in Laramie for just over a week now and we both have applied everywhere for jobs with little success. I found an ad for lifeguarding and figured I should apply because I still have a year left on my certification. They called a couple days later and asked me to come in for a swim test. The test consists of three parts. CPR, 3 saves including one spinal, and the brick test. I was most worried about the saves and CPR because I haven't lifeguarded for 2 years! And I need to re-certify for CPR anyways. I was very hesitant in doing the test but scheduled to do it anyways because I NEED a job asap!

The swim test was a total failure. First of all, I thought all I had to do was perform CPR not have quiz on it! So that was the first fail, lots of wrong questions. The second was the brick test (the one I was least worried about) it took me three tries to get that stupid brick! I think it's because the first time I did this test was my certification and it was a 9ft pool. This pool was 12.5 feet! Wasn't ready for that. I almost had a break down because how can a lifeguard save a person if they can't even safe a stupid brick! After that fail I lost all confidence. Then I had to save this HUGE guy! It took me like 10 mins to get him to the side of the pool because he was so heavy. The lady said I did good on the test overall but I view it as a complete failure! I will be in total shock if they call me about a job.

After my fails I was gasping for air and felt like I had worked out for 3 hours straight. I was defeated. It's bitter sweet for me because I didn't realize how much I actually enjoyed lifeguarding until I found out that I can't do it anymore. I never got any pictures of me guarding in Texas but above is a picture of me that summer. I was tan and my hair got super blonde (although you can't tell in this picture). I loved sitting in the sun soaking up rays and jumping in the pool to cool off on breaks and sipping MD whenever I got the chance. I will miss being a lifeguard and feeling the prettiest I have ever felt in my life. I am grateful that I got the chance to go to Texas and lifeguard. I got to spend time with my sister and her kids and feel so much closer to them because of that. I also met Ryan there. So this is the end of "Bri the Lifeguard." Unless there is a miracle and I get the job!

No comments:

Post a Comment