Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The RUG

I found this blog where this lady made her own rug. She started out by buying "duck cloth" and simply painted the zig zag stripes onto it. I loved the idea, thus the inspiration! When I went to the store I found black fabric and white fabric so I took this idea and changed it so I wouldn't be using any paint, just fabric.

Her Rug


My Rug!


First I cut out even strips of white and black fabric.


Then I sewed them together


The fabric ravels very easily so you always have to finish the seams. More work but it will lay better and not ravel.


Before I hemmed I bought some cheap black fabric and sewed it onto the back so the rug looked finished and professorial. Then I hemmed once.


And hemmed twice for a more finished look.


Creating.... The RUG!





It will surely look better when I get a new coffee table and couch with lots of very cute pillows. I did get a little impatient with this project so there are a lot of errors that later on I will seam rip and finish it the right way. But I was just so excited to show the finished product. It will be perfect later so don't look too close now.

1 comment:

  1. very neat! i love the stripes! i have a striped rug somewhere in storage... and you used duck cloth?? i don't even know what that is!

    ReplyDelete