Saturday, November 16, 2013

Connor Ryan Murphy

Connor Ryan Murphy
Due: October 5, 2013
Born: September 25, 2013
7 lbs 3 oz
20 1/2 inches 
Perfect in every way. 


Birth Story

This is a long and most likely boring story to anybody besides Ryan and I but I wanted to write it down for my own record and so I can remember this perfect day. It was the most incredible experience I have ever had. The best day of my life.

On Tuesday September 24th around 7 pm I started having contractions. The entire day before I was having contractions but they stopped when I went to bed so I decided I would make dinner and rest because I figured it was just braxton hicks and they would eventually go away. I kept contracting that night and went to bed around midnight thinking they would stop. I woke up at 2am with regular contractions so I got up and started timing them in the living room. They were getting closer together and more intense. I kept telling myself it was false labor and they would stop.  But they didn't. I was putting off waking Ryan up because my biggest fear in that moment was going to the hospital and being sent home for not being in labor. I called the hospital before waking Ryan up to see if they wanted me to come in. I finally woke Ryan up at 4:30 and told him we needed to go to the hospital. It was then that I burst into tears because I was scared they would just send us home. Ryan reassured me that it would be fine if they did and we should just get checked out. We took our time getting out the door because I didn't want to go. I made Ryan shower while I finished packing my bags. We finally left and checked into the hospital around 5:30am. 

I got checked in and kept telling the nurses that I was sorry if I wasn't in labor. They had me change and hooked me up to all the monitors. Sure enough I was having contractions but they didn't know if I was in labor yet. When they finally checked my cervix my heart sank. I was at a 3 and 90% effaced (exactly what I was at my doctors appointment the day before). They said because my contractions were so regular they would keep me for awhile and see what happens. They checked me an hour later and I was at a 4 and 100% effaced! It was labor and I was there to stay. 

The contractions were getting more intense so they gave me IV drugs which were great and I was able to sleep for awhile. By 10 doctor Klingler came in and broke my water to get things moving because I was still at a 4. That very next contraction after he broke my water was the REAL deal! They were so bad that I was crying and borderline screaming through each one. They got an epidural in me soon after. Best feeling ever! I was able to sleep again for a couple hours. Around noon the doctor came in to check me and shocked all of us when he said I was completely dilated and could start pushing. So in 2 hours time I went for a 4 to a 10. There was no way I could have done this without an epidural because watching the monitors my contractions were right on top of each other without giving my body any breaks. 

My two nurses, Megan and Lori, were amazing! I loved them and was so happy that they were my nurses for our entire hospital stay. Anyway they taught me how to push and we pushed for about an hour. Connor was still so high up that they decided to let me rest and have the contractions do all the work. After about an hour and a half of laboring down we started pushing again for almost another hour. The nurses asked if i wanted a mirror and I agreed. It would the most amazing thing to actually watch everything happen.

The doctor finally came in to prepare for delivery. I pushed a couple times with the doctor and he was finally out! I didn't think I would cry but it was so overwhelming especially when they put him in my arms. He was perfect. Even with his extreme cone head and giant bruise on the back of his head. Ryan cut the cord and they whisked him away to clean him up and check him out. He is a beautiful and healthy little boy and we are beyond blessed to have him.

Giving birth was the most incredible experience I have ever had. It really is amazing how the body works and automatically knows exactly what to do. We love our little boy more than anything and can't believe we are actually parents. He is such a good baby and hardly cries. We are so lucky to have him. We love you Connor. 

1 comment:

  1. Congrats, Bri! I'm Heather and I was wondering if you would be willing to answer my question about your blog! If you could email me back whenever you get a free moment I would greatly appreciate it :-)

    ReplyDelete